Friday 5 March 2021

Storyboarding. The What and Why?

 What is a story board?

A story board is basically a drawing of whatever idea that you have. It's where you can apply your script (which we will discuss in a separate post.) alongside the chance to draw out different camera angles to see how it work in production and then have the option to make changes in order for the scene/shot to look better than how it appears in the first instance.
As you can see from the reference image that I have the storyboard provides a good visualization of the shots that you have in mind and more importantly how these would look which helps to give the client a more rounded view of the production that you'll be completing for them.
However while these are good for visualizing the shots that you want to complete and demonstrating your ideas to the client than just words it's not all they can do. Depending on how detailed you want them to be content can include things like shot length the type that you're looking to do to the mis-en-scene and even what audio that you want in it too. However it's not just about time saving and a visual demonstration of what you want to do but also for highlighting any problems that could come out of it before they happen with the shot types like timing or camera positions which can then be fixed before showing the client or your DP.


Now for my storyboard I tried to make it as detailed as possible so I made sure to include what shot types that I wanted, their length and positions too. Each one has a maximum of 10 seconds with a minimum of four to make sure that each portion gets enough exposure time to ensure that the idea of curiosity comes across in the video and makes the audience want to explore the app on their own to find out more about it and maybe themselves too.
In terms of content I feel that I covered it well with what's on camera and how long it would be, visual edits and camera shot types as well as distancing for the angle. In terms of detail however I feel that I could have included more but but as this is only meant to be the start of the planning stage I feel that the content within it covers it well enough.
Now I could have worked to try and include more detail in the actual lists themselves such as what different types of audio that I would be using in each shot or talking about the physical actions that would be happening within them.

So hopefully this has given you a good idea into what goes behind the development of a storyboard and how effective they can be when used within a production.

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Practical Skills Evaluation

 The Final Practical and Professional skills I've covered but it's time to see how well I covered them. Looking at camera and lighti...